Saturday, June 30, 2007

New Schedule....

Dad has decided to change his schedule, or has done away with "early to bed, early to rise" lifestyle! Anybody that knows Gerald knows not to call after 7:30 p.m. because he is preparing to go to bed for the evening . He also usually gets up around 4 or 5:00 a.m. This week he has been awake until 3 and 4:00 a.m.!! He will never, ever believe this!
Dad has been off his pain meds since Tuesday, he is letting his healing powers do all the work. (That is his saying, not mine) Tuesday they did another CT scan on his head. Things are looking good, still some swelling on part of the brain. The area that is swollen effects his memory, he should have almost a full recovery of his memory within 6 months. Nurses and dr.'s cannot believe this is the same man that came into St. Francis 3 weeks ago.
Some of the things that Dad has requested this week are Bran Buds, a big calender, and a legal pad. The last 2 things should tell you how well Dad is progressing.
Dad got promoted out of Trauma ICU yesterday...Jackie and I weren't aware that it would take 3 hours to move up 1 floor!!
I want to thank everyone for the cards, prayers, and calls of concern. We are so fortunate to have so many people pulling for Dad and Vicki. A special thank you to Dennis and Trudi Moore for the outstanding snack baskets they put together for us, and to Leigh and David Verucchi for dinner for my family, and to Bev and Steve Loomis for dinner and an "out of this world" chocolate cake for my family. Of course, Pam has 50 gold stars by her name for all that she has done to keep everything running smoothly! I'd also like to thank all the dr.'s, nurses, and tech.'s at St. Francis, wow, what a job they have done.
I've come home for a few days, and Jackie is running the ship. Pray for strength and progress.
Say an extra prayer for Vicki, it's unbelievable that they have to redo her leg??

Have a safe and happy 4th of July!

Love to all,

Jackie, Jerry, and Timi

8 comments:

Kellye McElroy said...

Bruce and I have been following your progress daily but too computer illiterate to leave a note! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help. We will have you both in our prayers (and your family) and will be anxiously awaiting your return to Springdale. Love, Kellye McElroy

Twigger said...

I was a young store manager in the early 70's and your dad was my boss. I know first hand the importance that he puts on having a "legal pad". He taught me so much and I wll always be thankful he took the time to mentor me. I consider him one of the finest people I have ever known. My prayer goes out to the entire family. May the blessings of recovery continue.

Twigger

Christiana said...

Thank you for taking the time to post news! 'Checking in' on your parents is the first thing I do every morning. Chris and I hope to come down to Arkansas when they are up to some more visitors.
Our prayers and thoughts are with Gerald and Vicki and you and your families!
Much love and lots of hugs to all of you!
Chris and Christiana

Lisa said...

HI!
I check on progress everyday, Think of you all and send up prayers for you everyday. For strength& recovery.

Jackie you hang in there! call me.

Lisa Worley

Charlotte & George Paden said...

This good news is what we need to hear today ! While healing continues to be a really long journey for Gerald and Vicki, reading this update keeps us all centered on their progress. Many, many people who know the Harps only through their being listed on our Prayer Letter each day have become deeply in tune with their situation and ask repeatedly for the latest news. Their daily prays as well as ours will continue in behalf of Gerald and Vicki and we all will celebrate each report of their steady progress. We pray also for all family members who are giving time and attention to caring for Gerald and Vicki. Yours are long and demanding days, indeed. May you know fully of the loving work each of you does in their behalf.

Anonymous said...

Like others, I'm so thankful to you for posting your parents' condition. It allows us to keep them in our thoughts and prayers and send lots of strong, soulful healing. Our thoughts and prayers also go to you caregivers for all you've done and all the strength it takes to get you through this as well.

I don't think it's too farfetched to say that everyone in the Springdale community (as I'm sure in other places as well) are hoping for a quick recovery and return home.

Allyn Lord
Shiloh Museum of Ozark History
Springdale

Ellyn Schleiffarth said...

Gerald and Vicki,
I just found out about this blog when I emailed Pam to inquire about your progress. I was out of town when you had your accident but am back now and plan on continuing to monitor your progress. Glad to hear that you are progress in your recovery. Please know that I continue to keep both of you in my prayers.
Ellyn Schleiffarth

George & Mary Ann Smith said...

From Mary Ann (cousin)
Bonita (cousin) and I were grateful we were able to relieve Christy & Heather for a couple of days last week and I would like to say even though Vicki is progressing considerable I can see with all of the Physical Therapy, test,CT scans etc why it is difficult for her to squeeze in a badly needed nap, let alone a visitor. With all Vicki has been through she still has kept her wonderful humor.
George & I continue to offer our support and remember Vicki & Gerald in our thoughts and prayers.